A new release! This one is mostly a bug fix and a clean up of all the old functionality. This includes:
- Made the zoom functionality more intuitive based on feedback I got from alot of you. Now you draw a box around what you want to see on the DS. It will use the current orientation and come up with a zoom that fits that box to the DS screen. Try it out, if you don't get it or plain don't like it, leave me some feedback.
- Made the screen dim whenever you go to open a new file or you open the mini document view.
- Changed the old god-awful icon to the new god-awful icon for the mini document view. Its now a magnifying glass.
- Made the current location on the page reset when you go forward or backward a page.
- The page number now appears in the little bar on the bottom/left.
Thats all the big stuff, and covers alot of ground in terms of the feedback I've been getting.
The controls are largely unchanged, but I'll post them here for completeness sake:
- 'X' changes the orientation of the page. Starts off in 'book' style orientation.
- Right and Left shoulder go to the next or previous page.
- Start brings up the dialog to open a new file.
- Select toggles whether or not to show debug messages. Most users won't want this.
- 'B' resets the zoom to the default value of 100%.
One of the peices of feedback I've gotten has to do with this control layout. I want to get a good feel for what people think would be the best way to go on this before I just start changing stuff. What do you think the controls should be? What other controls would you want to see added?
The next major feature, and major release, is going to involve a reader mode. As it is, this pdf reader is great for viewing and looking at PDF's, and perhaps even grabbing some key facts from it, but noone is going to read a 100 page e-book in it. You'd get arthritis from so much scrolling and the rendering is so slow as to make it really annoying.
Instead, the plan is to allow you to be able to choose a viewing mode where you can display the textual blocks of a PDF document on its own screen. You'll lose the formatting from the PDF document, but then you'll be able to fit the text in the DS nicely. And if you want to see the formating, just pop back into the normal viewing mode and you'll have the experience that exists now!
Would this be something you'd want? Leave a comment if you have ideas on how to make this feature work like you'd want or if you just think its a good idea.